Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Continuing a Ritual

As I look back upon the past year and a half of blogging I see a pretty steady pattern of experiences mixed with classes. Some pictures and some stories typically comprise the experiences, while the thinking typically comes from the classes. While this quarter will be filled with new experiences, I want to begin to highlight some thinking that will happen via academia. For the next ten weeks I will be delving into the depths of worship, James, 1 Peter, ecclesiology and and eschatology. I know, I know... These classes may sound too pregnant with excitement for anyone to bear, yet I really am excited to share experience in these classes that I will be experiencing in the next 10 weeks.

I thought that I would begin with a simple reflection upon the systematic theology of ecclesiology and eschatology. To even mutter the word systematic in a post modern culture may seem heretical, yet I think I am learning otherwise. May I quote my professor Veli-Matti Karkkainen in his definition of systematic theology...

"Systematic theology is an integrative discipline, which continuously searches for a coherent, balanced understanding of Christian truth and faith in light of God’s revelation and in the context of the history of theology and contemporary world and cultures."

Now that wasn't so bad, was it? Veli-Matti is fully aware of the state of post modernity and reminds us that systematic theology still has a place (and an important place at that!) in our current culture. He simply makes his definition relevant by incorporating the idea of the process of pursuing balance in our understanding of God. I think that even the most skeptical of post modern children can swallow that system! Looking forward to sharing throughout the quarter...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading what you have to share...