Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Angels We Have Seen On High


We used to go to the Festival of the Lights when I was growing up as a kid. It was a Christmas program at Calvary church in Grand Rapids and it always set the mood for the holiday season for my family. With expectations of a similiar program at the Crystal Cathedral, my grandparents took Whitney and I to celebrate Christmas this past weekend down in Anaheim. The best way to describe the show may be similiar to my past experience at Calvary, but on steroids. The program at the Crystal Cathedral did not only include the narrative (sort of) of the birth of Jesus, but also, live horses, camels, and angels flying high above our heads! We all enjoyed the show and agreed that this event needs to become a holiday tradition. We also spent time down in Old Town and around Fuller's Campus. It was a lovely weekend, and Whitney and I were spoiled by our grandparents. This week is filled with work until Whitney and I leave for Texas for Christmas on Thursday evening. We can't wait to be with family and to have some time to relax.

5 comments:

Dave Wils said...

how much money do you think this production cost? is it right for a church to spend that much money on entertainment? how much does the church give away to people in need? i have always been very skeptical of the crystal cathedral...should i lighten up on them a little bit?

Nick Warnes said...

I was just thankful to be with my wife and my grandparents and for the space that the church provided for us to have a nice evening with one another.

Dave Wils said...

It no doubt looks intensely entertaining. I hope my above comment didn't detract from the fun you had! How is the IDL going?

calebyoungblood said...

I used to go to Calvary for the Festival of the Lights too! Maybe we saw each other...ha

That is sweet that they have live camels! I have never seen one; I don't think. Cool stuff...Have fun in Texas!

BlueSkies said...

As for what it cost there may be a more important question!!!
The cost of the production is covered by the price of the tickets.There are "gifted tickets" to many, who have the opportunity to view this wonderous story up live and BEAUTIFUL.
There are MANY...GIFTED people who volunteers hours and hours for the joy that is experienced by the viewers.
As for how much is given by the Crystal Cathedral there are financial reports for those who really care about the greatness of the mission of this house of God.
Skeptics usually don't know much about the mission. Our calling as Christians is to bring the word of God alive for as many as we are able to reach. This cathedral does a mighty work.