Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Comment Response

My good friend Caleb Youngblood (I would recommend checking ou his blog and the thinking that he is doing. There is a lin to his page under my friends section.) left a comment on the post that I did regarding the worship triangle. I copied his comment and pasted it below. My response is the following paragraph.

Nick...I liked your post. However, can I ask a question about what you are saying? Is the center of the triangle where we need to be? I remember having a similar conversation about this a while back. Not everyone prefers the center of all of those three elements, but rather, lean towards better worship with one or two sides weighted heavier. So, how do we address that issue. I don't mean to disagree with you just wanted your insight about this question!

Caleb... As we look historically at "the triangle" I feel like different traditions at different times have been good at at least one of the points of the triangle. Sometimes, a tradition will take seriously two of the points of the triangle. And sometimes they will "do" two points of the triangle well. However, rarely has there been a centeredness within a tradition, and maybe this is another item to add to the conversation as we move ahead in the way in which we worship God. Maybe for people like me who have had such an emphasis on Word in worship, and such a lack of art and sacrament, could be more holistic worshippers if we were to move more towards the center. So is centeredness the point? A good conversation for us to have. I don't know if the point is the center, but maybe movement towards the center would be helpful for all. My gut intially thinks that centeredness in this narrow fashion is not THE point... but it may be A point in a long series of points that need to be discussed within the catholic church. Also, I feel like Word and Sacrament have often been mutually exlusive in the climax of the ritual and I feel like they don't need to be. Why does it need to be word or wine? Could it be word and wine? I would love to hear the stories of the past regarding these questions...

2 comments:

calebyoungblood said...

Nick-

Thanks for the response. I think that "a point along the line" of transition helps me understand this question more clearly. I agree, we need to be more holistic worshippers! Hopefully, this discussion can stay alive amongst many people and worship will be made truer experience for many to come.

Unknown said...

What if instead of a point within the triangle our worship could be a cirle around the triangle where the perspective was different and we weren't battling balance such as who is better or closer to the center, but heartbeat's and very breathe embraced every inch of the triangle and it's points.