Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Scapegoats of Systematic Cancer

How often has a problem, so intertwined in a mesh of broken networks, come and left a sense of despair in life? As I continue to encounter places where there is no answer... Where there is only confusion and a loss of direction, my frustration mounts. Many will say, Just live the question... Embrace the process... You need to have more faith… You need to be more focused on the Word… And so on... And this lingo has its place... But... What do we do when we have done these things and despair continues to be the most dominate force? This seems to happen not only on an individual level, but also on a community, national, and even global level. We get confused by a broken network of thoughts and actions and get left without direction or ideas. (A horrible place to be.) I think that I am learning that when these sorts of feelings arise, the problem is on a systemic level. There is something wrong with the system. Often, we humans try to solve systemic cancer with a scapegoat. (A person or two in which to place the blame.) Well, scapegoat syndrome seems to only put a band-aid on a broken femur. (Yeah Arnold… My governor!) (To take the idea of scapegoat to another level takes us to the question of how we make ourselves the scapegoats in various different contexts in order to avoid dealing with larger systemic brokenness. But this is another subject for another day!) Back to the broken femur… Why do we insist on scapegoating when we feel despair, lose direction, and have a lack of ideas? To avoid the essential pain that needs to occur when systemic cancer is addressed. Pain is necessary when entire systems change. Most humans will do anything to avoid pain.
I am confused about some realities that surround me on different levels. War. Money. Relationships. I feel despair. I have few or no ideas. I don’t know which direction I/we are going. Could it be that a portion of the reason that I am confused is because broken systems are involved? Have there been scapegoats? Have I made scapegoats? Have I been a scapegoat? Have a made myself a scapegoat? Do I make scapegoats to avoid the pain that comes with actually dealing with deep, dark, systemic brokenness? Many questions… We’ll see.

2 comments:

BlueSkies said...

Despair is no respecter of any given mind set. We all are vulnerable and we nearly ALL do address despair in some guise more than once in our lifetime.
Perhaps some of that very sense comes from the abundance in our personal experience. With abundance comes indifference or at the very best "blinders". Then when despair attacks in whatever form we are shaken and desperate.
Can we avoid this. I don't think so but I do believe we can really grow THROUGH it.
There is no logic in trying to place blame, find a scapegoat, when despair arrives. The best we can do is look at the cause very honestly--and that is the hardest part--and then find our way through to a resolution without EXPECTING to be bailed out.
Day by day addressing the situation with an honest resolve to find a correction --and when there is no correction or undoing to find an acceptance-- and a new path is all that we can do.
So say the sages!!! So say I. The world is in turmoil and we are all effected in so many ways that to look with despair is to look at defeat-- and that is unexceptable.
Life does have ups and downs and the best way is up...so just keep plugging, seeking new information, looking heavenward--inward--and with trust in the "Kingdom".
May God bless each of us as we deal with despair. GM

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.