Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Creative Fidelity and Bliss

Kevin Vanhoozer has created what may be the first systematic theology for a post-modern generation. I know, I know... To even pair the word systematic with post-modern is "sinful" in many circles, but I promise, Vanhoozer's book won't bite. In fact, it may be very helpful to many who plan on moving forward with the Gospel in the post-Christian West. The book is called The Drama of Doctrine: A Canonical Liguistic Approach to Christian Theology, and is filled with tasty morsels of truth, I mean Truth, no truth... whatever. The book is filled with mmmmmmm.

I hope to be filling this blog with quotes over the next weeks from Vanhoozer's book. I have wanted to post quotes from his book for a while, but have not yet received an opportunity.... Until now. This simple line was from my reading this afternoon.

"The process of translating the gospel into different cultures displays both constancy and creativity: in short, creative fidelity- passing on the gospel."

So many lean in one direction or the other. CreativitY OR FidelitY. How does a balance of both manifest today in America? This may be one of the most important questions as we move deeper into the depths of humanity and God's dream for it.




By the way... The reason that I have not been able to post as often as I would like over the past month has been because of Hebrew... Yeah, the language. I am in a ten week intensive right now with the original language of the Old Testament. It is so overwhelming that it had me out of bed this morning at 5:30 in the AM, working through the different verb paradigms and strange suffixes for an 8 AM quiz! I took a picture of my bliss for your entertainment.

3 comments:

BlueSkies said...

I beleive you posed a very creative question and trust your studies, and sharings will enlighten our thinking.
"How does a balance of both manifest today in America? This may be one of the most important questions as we move deeper into the depths of humanity and God's dream for it."
That is dedication, sleepy one. By the way I personally find the glasses "fetching".(Neat Old fashioned word) Blessings GM

Unknown said...

Can't imagine what I would rather be doing at 5:30 other than drinking coffee and reading a hebrew text book!!! man you have got the life! Miss ya buddy.
Ben

Lindsay said...

when is that class done? are you fluent yet :)? oh - and did you get any pics while you were with dad? love you!