Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Tradition of November 1

Did you know that today is Saints Day? A day where the church uses the tail end of Halloween to convert people to Jesus. (We are so brilliantly creative aren't we!?!? This was a jeopardy question last night.)

On better note, today is a day that will break tradition for me... It has been a part of my story (even in the midst of harsh persecution that I recieved from so many...) that on November 1 I start listening to Chrsitmas music. I know, I know, you are thinking that we shouldn't listen to Christmas music or Holiday music (depending on your denomination) until after Thanksgiving, but I have enjoyed the sweet rythems of Manheim Steamroller even during the early portions of Novemeber. The problem with this tradition while living in Los Angeles is that it is still 75 degrees here and I just can't gather the energy to sing Jingle Bells while I am roasting in the sun. I hope that as Christmas gets closer that energy will be able to gather and that Christmas music will once again be flowing through my brain.

Since Christmas is coming soon, I thought that I would make a top ten list of my all time favorite Christmas Songs for you. No Christmas party is complete without these songs! You can find them all on iTunes...

1 White Christmas by Bing Crosby
2 The Chipmunk Song by The Chipmunks
3 Anything by Manheim Steamroller
4 Rudolph, The Red Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry
5 Carol of the Bells by John Williams
6 Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie
7 O Holy Night by Kelly Clarkston
8 Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano
9 Little Drummer Boy by Harry Simeone Chorale
10 Jingle Bells by The Barking Dogs

6 comments:

Duby said...

jack johnson does a great version of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer

Anonymous said...

you and Werf - he loves Christmas music too...
theule

Grete said...

Oh goodness... I read your post and immediately told Jon to read it. He told me EXACTLY the same line yesterday about "being after Halloween" officially means you can listen to Christmas music. In honor of your post he broke out another Christmas song on iTunes - He seems particularly fond of Mercy Me's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"... Too soon! That's what I say!

Lindsay said...

I'm struggling with the same dilemma here, it's hard to get in my normal "Christmas music after Halloween" mood when it's still 95 degrees here. I say, keep trying!

JBeck said...

I am glad you have finally seen the light

BlueSkies said...

To sing---0r listen-- or not, that seems to be the question. Oh well, Joy to the World anyway!!!!!luv GM