Wednesday, August 30, 2006




Knowledge puffs up while love builds up.
(1Corinthians 8:1b) (TNIV)

As I have been in conversation with many about transitioning into seminary, I felt that last nights reading of 1 Corinthians was perfect. Back in Michigan, I would always teach my college leaders that college is a dangerous time. It is a time where one can easily fall into the trap of being consumed with themselves. It is about... my studying, my community, my work that I do for my future. Getting to know some people around the Fuller community, I don't think that life is all that different here. Is it okay to be consumed in your own personal studies while in seminary. There is a huge tension here. Do I invest in myself, so that I can be best equipped for the future? Or do I invest in people now and in the future? I'm excited to live this question out and see where this leads.

Whitney and I saw another free movie last night. It was the world premier of the new Phillip Seymore Hoffman film. It was called Savages and it was really good. The story was mediocre for me, but the acting made up for where the story fell short. We also recently saw LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE. If you haven't seen this movie yet, please do. It is the BEST comedy of the year.

Whitney has her big interview today with Fuller. She will also hear from Venice Arts today. This is a day that we have been anticipating for a while. I have two important meetings tomorrow with local churches. We will keep you posted on how all of this goes. Tonight... However... Oh tonight!!! I will be celebrating my early birthday. My parents sent Whitney and I Dodger tickets via e-mail. We are so excited. Greg Maddux and his 83 mph cheese is on the hill, and Ken Griffey Jr. will be in center field. I can't wait to eat a Dodger Dog and drink an 8 dollar Bud Light while yelling rude comments at Griffey. Wait... I will not yell rude comments because love builds up!

4 comments:

JBeck said...

I just wanted to say Go Tigers as you go watch the Dodgers play. Who knows maybe we could have a Dodgers Tigers World Series now that would be sweet

BlueSkies said...

Have a blog now, little in it but it will grow. Have a great time this evening and know we are thinking of you. Don't know if we can pick up this game but we will try. You're so right!!!Love builds up!! So receive lots of love from all of us to take you through those self posessed moments. They will occur but how else can you focus on becoming "who you are meant to be"--in God's light.
Love you--Happy Birthday (early)
more soon Gramma

Michael said...

Nick, you hit it on the head with the ironic nature of seminary. So much knowledge gained, yet the true, higher wisdom which is not the knowledge that puffs up but a humble heart, selflessness, love, etc.

Anonymous said...

Remember when we talked about the "problems of seminary" in Tim Brown's class? Interesting stuff. And, why would you want to build up Griffey? Go ahead and hurl those insults! :)

Dave